Sunday, November 18, 2012


      On my way to work last week, I saw a homeless woman standing at a traffic light with a sign asking for money; I was going to give her a dollar, but then I noticed that she had an expression of forced misery, like someone doing an exaggerated sad face.  My pity switched to resentment, as I felt tricked into feeling bad.  When I drove past her and got a closer look, I saw that she was genuinely and profoundly miserable as if she had just escaped from a labor camp. I felt terrible and hated myself for being so uptight over a stupid dollar.  Today, at the same traffic light, I saw another homeless person over-projecting their destitute misery; once again, I felt manipulated and put my wallet away; then, as I drove by, I was again horrified as I saw a deeply miserable person and realized it was the same woman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment