Sunday, November 18, 2012

We passed a stand selling bags of apples for $3.00 at the Ashfield town fair.  A sign said, “Free tastes!”  This made me angry and sad.  Angry at the people who wouldn’t spend three dollars to buy an entire bag of apples unless they get a free sample.  Sad that the sellers used an exclamation point to show their enthusiasm for catering to the cheap and picky.  I said, “Ha.  Free tastes.”  Kerry looked over and said that she wanted to buy a bag.  It ended up that each row was a different variety of apple, but not the standard Granny Smith or Macintosh.  They were exotic kinds I’d never heard of like Akero, Garland, and Sandow.  A single apple sat behind each row, so the guy could cut a slice and give it to the customer.  Kerry tried a few, found one she really liked (Park’s Pippen) and said, “Wow, this is awesome.  I’m glad I tried it.”  The guy looked at me and said, “That’s why we offer free tastes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment